4.02.2005

After a week with the PSP...

I must say this is an impressive device. Forget gaming, the PSP should set a new standard for handheld electronic devices.

The screen resolution, granularity, and display is amazing. I kinda scoffed at watching a movie on there; now, I expect the PSP to serve as a portable movie player.

Controls are impressive. As usual, Sony has come up with a nice innovation in their thumb control, which gives the capabilities of a joystick in a centimeter sized button.

Wifi access works like a charm - you can even disable the radio to save battery life.

Speaking of batteries, the batteries seem to last forever.

Have not had a chance to try playing head-to-head wirelessly.

So, everything that comes with it is impressive. Most notable is what's missing:


  • No web browser. Given everything else that is there, a web browser would be a no brainer. Apparently there is a built in web browser, and the Japanese models have it activated, but it's not available out of the box on the US PSP. Waiting to get my hands on a hack =)

  • Lack of titles (both games and movies) for the new UMD format. I don't expect this to last. The form factor and ruggedness of the new UMD disc are impressive; I would expect other device manufacturers to adopt UMD.

  • Sizable Memory Stick Duo cards. Would love to "rip" DVD MP4s to a memory stick, but I'm concerned about video quality if I have to put it on a 1GB card.



All in all, very happy with this purchase. I can actually see it supplanting my XBox.

No comments: