3.17.2005

Fresh ideas and fresh perspectives

This might very well be my number one insight into innovation: new innovation comes from new perspectives. Period. I'm always impressed at the insight new people bring to the table, even if they know nothing about the domain/processes/etc. Some people argue that people are changing jobs too fast these days - I argue we aren't changing fast enough! If innovation is the "in thing," and we need to increase the velocity of innovation, why wouldn't we rotate people in and out of jobs?

I submit that in order to keep pace with the rest of the globe, American companies are going to have to figure out how to manage cross-company talent pools. To me, you get all the benefits of internal resources (intellectual capital) and all the benefits of external resources (fresh perspective) without the risk (a company is simply exchanging resources with another company).

No comments: