3.18.2005

Growing away from sports

Maybe I'm just too busy these days. Maybe I'm finally growing up. Maybe I'm maturing. Maybe I'm sick of the sports media acting as if anything that happens in sports is bigger than life itself. Whatever the reason, I do not follow sports the way I once did.

This past year was the first year (in 12 years) my wife and I did not get season tickets for Purdue football. Sure, we still made it to half the games (including Purdue's blowout at Notre Dame... heh heh heh), but I did not have the same zeal for the games that I once did.

And the latest steroids crap takes the cake. Conseco, MacGwire, Sosa, Bonds taking steroids? Really? Gee, there's a news flash. What's next, you gonna tell me Sosa's bat was ALWAYS corked?

And why is Congress so worked up over this? Isn't there a war going on in the Middle East? Shouldn't we be worried about fixing the Social Security System that will collapse in the next 20 years? How about the oil shortage we will soon face due to booming demand in Asia? Where is the discussion on alternative energy sources? Were all those issues resolved last week and I missed it 'cause I was working late every night?

Not sure the NCAA (or people like me that support it) is any better. Here we are in March Madness. $5B CBS is forking over to the NCAA. Lots of people at lots of universities, the media, etc. making out very well due to the tournament. Everyone except... the players. Go figure.

Maybe I shouldn't blog after a long week at work =)

1 comment:

Unknown said...

I couldn't agree more. Sports and sport figures may play too much of a role in today's society. Where are the engineer, marketers, scientists, accountants that should be our role models, instead of overpaid athletes.