6.27.2005

Finally picked up a book

Wow, I'm almost embarassed to say I haven't touched a book in the last five weeks since we've moved to Seattle. Not for a shortage of books (I brought a few for the apartment), but simply a shortage of time. To get back in the habit of reading, I picked up my copy of Tao of Leadership. a book given to me by my previous boss at Whirlpool after a Leadership Workshop. As a student of Tao Te Ching and Taoism, I am interested in this particular adaptation. I've always found Tao a natural guide to Leadership.

So I open up the book, and in Chapter 2 I break out a smile as some of my core beliefs are imprinted:

  • ...the wise leader does not push to make things happen, but allows process to unfold on its own

  • The leader knows that constant interventions will block the group's progress

  • The leader does not insist that things comeout a certain way


Which brings me to my own personal paradox: do I like books, articles, philosophies because of their content and merit? Or, do I like those things which happen to align and resonate with my beliefs? I really wish I could say I am open minded and judge ideas on their merit; alas, I believe I simply resonate with those ideas that I happen to already believe. I look back at my favorite books (Good to Great, How Customers Think, Re-Imagine!, First Break All the Rules) and find that I held those beliefs prior to engaging such texts.

And even Chapter 2 of Tao of Leadership: there it is, staring me in the face... my own personal beliefs. Do I hold those beliefs due to my studying Taoism the past three years? Perhaps. More likely, I hold those beliefs because of what I've seen successful in my personal experience. To be sure, successful paths can be paved counter to the Tao (Steve Jobs, Larry Ellison, Bill Gates, among others).

PS. Thanks Jay for the book, and I wish you and Sara the best of luck with your European adventures.

1 comment: